Landlords are legally obliged (in accordance with Gas Safety Regulations 1998) to obtain a gas safety certificate (CP12) every twelve months. So why not contact us at Hodges and Mills Plumbing and Heating Ltd so that we can carry out your annual checks for you? Remember that we are gas, LPG and oil qualified.
As a landlord, you are legally responsible for the safety of your tenants in relation to gas safety. By law you must:
- Repair and maintain gas pipework, flues and appliances in safe condition
- Ensure an annual gas safety check on each appliance and flue
- Keep a record of each safety check
Landlords are responsible for the safety of their tenants. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 detail landlords’ duties to ensure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe.
Landlords are responsible for the maintenance and repair of flues, appliances and pipework provided for their tenants. They are also responsible for ensuring an annual gas safety check is carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
What is a gas safety check?
A Gas Safe registered engineer will check your gas appliance is working correctly including:
- gas appliances are on the right setting and burning correctly with the correct operating pressure
- harmful gases are being removed safely
- ventilation routes are clear and working properly
- all the safety devices are working
The check will identify any defects that require remedial work. Gas safety checks are required every year.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. Carbon-based fuels are safe to use. It is only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess CO is produced, which is poisonous. When CO enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.
You can't see it, taste it or smell it but CO can kill quickly without warning. According to the HSE statistics every year around 7 people die from CO poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated. Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health if breathed in over a long period. In extreme cases paralysis and brain damage can be caused as a result of prolonged exposure to CO. Increasing public understanding of the risks of CO poisoning and taking sensible precautions could dramatically reduce this risk.
There are signs that you can look out for which indicate incomplete combustion is occurring and may result in the production of CO:
- yellow or orange rather than blue flames (except fuel effect fires or flueless appliances which display this colour flame)
- soot or yellow / brown staining around or on appliances
- pilot lights that frequently blow out
- increased condensation inside windows
There are a number of simple steps that gas consumers can take to keep themselves safe.
Carbon monoxide can be produced by any combustion appliance, including those that burn fossil fuels e.g. oil, wood and coal. If you have one of these appliances you should make sure that it is serviced and maintained by a competent person and that the chimney is regularly swept.
Early symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can mimic many common ailments and may easily be confused with food poisoning, viral infections, flu or simple tiredness. Symptoms to look out for include:
- headaches or dizziness
- loss of consciousness
- pains in the chest or stomach
- erratic behaviour
- visual problems
If you have an enquiry or would like further information please don’t hesitate to contact us.